Thursday, November 4, 2010

Book Review: Faithful

"A journey in search of independence."

HEYHIHELLO

Today I shall be reviewing a book titled Faithful by Janet Fox. It is a historical romance. A type of book I don’t read often but I will from now on.

The description of the book:
Sixteen-year-old Maggie Bennet’s life is in tatters. Her mother has disappeared, and is presumed dead. The next thing she knows, her father has dragged Maggie away from their elegant Newport home, off on some mad excursion to Yellowstone in Montana. Torn from the only life she’s ever known, away from her friends, from society, and verging on no prospects, Maggie is furious and devastated by her father’s betrayal. But when she arrives, she finds herself drawn to the frustratingly stubborn, handsome Tom Rowland, the son of a park geologist, and to the wild romantic beauty of Yellowstone itself. And as Tom and the promise of freedom capture Maggie’s heart, Maggie is forced to choose between who she is and who she wants to be. 

My review:

We are introduced to Maggie planning her debut. A debut is like a party where you wear beautiful dresses and wear lots of jewelry in hopes of getting married. Then her dad orders her  to leave for Yellowstone. What about her debut? She will never get married that way.

This book is all about women finding independence. When Maggie goes to Yellowstone she realizes this aspect of life. Independence.

This is what the book helped realize:
A person should have goals. Their goals shouldnt be "oh, I want to grow up. Get married and have children." No, there are more in life than forming a family. Maggie starts to realize that she could work the job she wants. She can continue her studies. Also, no one should be forced to marry someone they don’t like, right?
This book was great, even though it was too wordy. But I liked the way it was worded. I thought it was a romance novel but there was no romance. Ok maybe there was but I didn’t feel it at all. I only felt Maggie's love to Tom but Tom didn’t like her. He kept insulting her from time to time.

Also there were the quotes of old literature at the beginning of each chapter. This created the atmosphere before starting the chapter.

Book 2 is coming out next year and it is called (Forgiven)

Whenever I read a historical novel, I thank god that I live in this century because I love learning and going to school. What about you? Would you go back in time or stay where you are (in your case reading my blog)?

Here is the trailer:


Tata for now

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails