Monday, May 16, 2011

List of Donts-"Writing Tips"

Heyhihello

So I've been thinking for a while if I should or should not write this post. But I will write it down and if it looks good, I will post it. (well, I guess I posted it)

One of the things that has pushed me to write this post is that I once wrote a novel (92 thousand words) and it was never published. But writing a book had taught me so many lessons. Well, here is the list of things I think you should "not-do" if you are planning to publish a book.

Don’t brag: I don’t think I bragged about my book because I don’t think its that good and none of my friends cared because they hate reading. But looking back at, I think I spent so much time talking about my novel, my novel and my novel. I had a feeling that people were annoyed with my talk about the novel but I didn’t care because I wanted to talk about it. So my advice would be: don’t mention the fact that you are writing a book to everyone. Only mention it in front of people who would actually encourage and support you.

Dont reveal don’t go around and say that you are writing a book when you are only figuring out the plot. No. Just don’t. Keeping it secret project will increase from the value of the novel. I mean what if people jinx it. Jinx the fact that you are spending that much of time writing. Yea, it happens.

Don’t ask from everyone to edit it: seriously who wants to edit? I asked my friends to edit it but they didn’t want to so they obviously didn’t edit it. And sometimes people would send me their own spin and change everything. Basically, what I am trying to say is figure out who will help you before you reveal your secret.

Don’t send it to everyone: people who seem excited the minute they know you wrote a book and they will ask you to send it. You send it to them and expect a full review after a week, a month, a year. But hey, I am still waiting. Not happening soon!


Finally, all I want to say is before you decide whether or not you should write a book, you need to read a lot and write a lot too. Write anything, random stuff. And as mentioned before I use the blog to keep writing and writing. And of course to help me explore new books.  

Tata for now

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails