Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma


Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
Release Date: June 14th 2011
Publisher: Dutton
Age Group: Young Adult
Page: 352 pages
Source: Library
Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.


First of all, look at the cover. It's just beautiful. You have to agree with that.

Second of all, the writing was so good. It was almost poetic. Nova's writing captured everything elegantly (the moments, thoughts of the main character, Chole herself). The writing style was one of the things that I liked about this book.

This book kept me guessing. I was tempted several times to read the final page but I was also eager to read how Nova will build up the story. It was mysterious, creepy and eerie. The story itself was unique and its mainly focus was on the bonds between sisters. So the main focus of the book wasn’t on a boy and a girl falling in love. But don’t worry there was that too. Usually, the romance in a book is thing that keeps me reading it, but in Imaginary Girls there was a lack of that aspect but it was still amazing. You know, a great book doesn’t need a romance to make it perfect.

I liked the characters, of course. They were so real.

With all positives I had mentioned above, there is one negative…  I don’t get it. I don’t get the imaginary girls concept. I don’t want to spoil so all I'm going to say is that it was a bit confusing. Especially towards the end. Like I don’t know who is real or imaginary anymore. Well, I guess that’s the point of it.

Overall, this book was awesome and one of my favorite reads in 2011.
    

1 comment:

JessiM said...

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. The mystery to the whole thing definitely drew me in and confused me in turn throughout the entire story.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails