Monday, September 19, 2011

One Day by David Nicholls


Release Date: August 28th 2009
Publisher: Random House
Age Group:  Adult
Pages: 437 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: None

Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY. From the author of the massive bestseller STARTER FOR TEN.

Brilliant.  Brilliant. Brilliant.

I loved this book. I don’t know what else I can say. It was so amazing. So powerful. It made me laugh, cry, wonder, worry. It made me feel so many things and that doesn’t usually happen in one book.

Dexter and Emma are  complex characters. They are in love with each other, but try to avoid each other for years, but no one can twist faith.

Each chapter takes place on the July 15th (Emma and Dexter anniversary). As the book says, it brings snapshots of Emma and Dexter through the twenty years they had known each other.

There were times when I was frustrated. I just wanted to slam this book at the wall. I sometimes yelled at the characters, wondering why can't they marry each other already. Each chapter Emma and Dexter grew a year and I felt like I was aging with them. They had problems that many young adults face the minute they graduate from university. This book really made me wonder 'How is my life is going to be after I finish school?'. The only answer I got out of the book is everything starts out confusing but it all gets better.

The pacing was perfect. I mean each chapter reflected on Emma and Dexter's life for a year and how much they had changed. This change could be physically, mentally or emotionally.

I haven’t watched the movie, but the trailer of the movie forced me into buying this book and I don’t regret it. it is a must read if you enjoy reading adult books.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails