Monday, October 3, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini


Release Date: May 31st 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 514 pages
Source: Library
Series: Book 1


How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


This book was great. Fantastic. Unique plot and characters. But I didn’t like it. It wasn’t for me. At first it sounded so interesting. It kept me on going and flipping through the pages quickly. But later I was bored. Really. I felt the book was too wordy. Full of details. And yes usually when a book is full of details is considered to be great and placed in my favourite bookshelf. But this book was too wordy to the point I had to skip parts of it. I guess I didn’t care much about the characters .Or maybe I'm not into Greek Mythology. I don’t know.

The love story between Helen and Lucas was fine. But I wanted more. I was waiting till the last page to get more but there was nothing.

Basically, I had high hopes for this book but it let me down. Sadly. And not because of writing or anything. No, the writing was excellent. I guess I'm not into that sort of lengthy book. 

1 comment:

Canada said...

Starcrossed happens to be one of the best books I have ever read. Such a wonderfully written story with new twist and turns at every page. I couldn't put it down Helen as a character was so well written you find out little bit by little bit about who she really is and yet even feeling like i know her so well by the end of the book I cant wait to learn more about her in the books to follow. I also love Lucas he is such a great sweet strong character Im not sure who loves him more me or Helen =-). Dare I say this book is better than Twilight? I think I will as much as I loved the Twilight series this book is so well written it makes my heart sing and I cant wait for book two to make its appereance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails