Saturday, August 28, 2010

Book Review: The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June

Today I shall review a book titled The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June by Robin Benway. It is her second novel after Audrey, Wait!

Here is the descripition of the book:


Three sisters share a magical, unshakable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose? 

April, the oldest and a bit of a worrier, can see the future. Middle-child May can literally disappear. And baby June reads minds—everyone’s but her own. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls come together to save the day and reconcile their strained family. They realize that no matter what happens, powers or no powers, they’ll always have each other. 

Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood.


So the novel is about 3 sisters with powers. Each sister has her own character and is different from her other sisters. That’s the first thing that I liked about the book which was each character had her own distinguish voice. I could tell which one was talking by the tone and the attitude of the writing. Personally I liked all the characters; they felt real even though they are not normal. However my favorite was April. She was independent and could see the future- which is something I can do too. Like right now I know for sure that the only thing you are reading is this post. See! I could see in the future.

The cover was one of the brilliant covers I had seen this year. And yes I do judge a book by its cover. So I am hoping there would be a sequel for this book.

One thing I didn’t like about the book was the climax. I kept looking for it. I looked under my pillow, under my bed and in my closet. I just couldn’t find it. I thought the characters were going to use their powers to save the world or something. Instead they use their powers for themselves. It's just that the climax wasn’t strong enough.

Tata for now
   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails