Sunday, December 26, 2010

Book Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Heyhihello

Today I shall be reviewing a book titled Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson. And we all know whatever is published by Simon and Schuster is usually 99% an awesome book. It is a novel for a debut author.

The description of the book:

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My review:

Just let me tell you that I know America now more than Canada itself. I had taken a road-trip across America by reading this book. This book takes you on an exciting journey from California to Connecticut, allowing you to experience how is it like to be there in real life. The author wanted us to feel like we are with the characters on the road trip and she delivered that brilliantly by showing us pictures of places they visit, recites, notes and drawings.

The characters were created in a deeply manner. Amy, who thinks that she had killed her father doesn’t open up to anyone until she meets Roger. Roger was the one responsible for driving most of the trip. He seemed really sweet, caring and nice. He was all Amy wanted to get rid of her problems. But he had a girlfriend. For Amy, I liked her relationship with her dad. They seemed so close and I felt sorry for her all the time. She always compared herself to the old Amy and I liked the before/after Amy at the same time.

The book had a flashback that helped us to understand what had taken place prior the road-trip.  Morgan keeps us wondering about lots of stuff till the end. The ending was so realistic and I loved it

I was almost crying from the inside when I realized that I was about to finish this book. It seemed so big but it took me less than 2 days to read it. It took place in the summer/spring so I felt warm even though it was Christmas when I was reading it.
Right now I am more interested to visit America than ever. It seems like each state has its own tradition, food, etc.

The cover of this book was epic. I liked the holding of the hands and the models looked tanned and Roger's shirt isn’t ironed. Just perfect for the storyline.

Last but not least: I 100% recommend this book because it is totally awesome and I am glad that I had read it.

P.S. it will be one of those books that you will be hugging all the time. Just saying.    

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails