Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book Review: Vixen

Heyhihello

Today I shall review a book titled Vixen by Jillian Larkin.

Description of the book:
Jazz . . . Booze . . . Boys . . . It’s a dangerous combination.
 
Every girl wants what she can’t have. Seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody wants the flapper lifestyle—and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she’s engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago’s most powerful families, Gloria’s party days are over before they’ve even begun . . . or are they?
 
Clara Knowles, Gloria’s goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make sure the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch—but Clara isn’t as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she’ll do anything to keep hidden. . . . 
 
Lorraine Dyer, Gloria’s social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria’s shadow. When Lorraine’s envy spills over into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone’s going to be very sorry. . . . 
 
From debut author Jillian Larkin, VIXEN is the first novel in the sexy, dangerous, and ridiculously romantic new series set in the Roaring Twenties . . . when anything goes.

My review:

There is nothing like going back in time when everything was different from now.
Vixen is a historical fiction as you might have noticed from the cover. It is about 3 girls  trying to figure out life. First off, we have Gloria who falls for a black guy (Oh the horror. I wish they knew what have happened in 2009). Then we have Clara who is trying to escape from her mysterious past. Finally we have Lorraine who never gets what she wants. The voices of the three character were distinguishable and obvious. It was easy to know which one was which.

If you ask me which character was my favourite, I would say none because all of them are risk takers and I am so not like that. The female characters want freedom and liberation. Something that somewhere we actually enjoy but we are not there yet, are we?

However, when I read historical fiction I expect history actually embedded within the plot. I hardly found that. The book talked a little about World War 1 and the prohibition but it wasn’t enough for me. I wanted more. Also I felt the language used in the book was very modern and not a language that would be spoken by teenagers in the 20s.

Overall, this book was a great read. It made me wanting more and more. The book ended with a huge cliffhanger and I just cant wait for book 2.   

Tata for now

1 comment:

A Beautiful Madness said...

It looks really good. I really like the cover. It sounds like a really interesting mix of history and drama. Great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails