Monday, October 31, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins


Release Date: September 29th 2011
Publisher: Dutton
Age group: Young Adult
Pages: 338 pages
Source: library

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. 

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

What can I possibly say about this book? Lola oh Lola. I wish my name was Lola. I wish I had Lola’s same fashion style. She really didn’t have a specific style. She wore something different every day, not wanting to be like everyone else…she is not your typical female main character. She is liberated but at the same time respects her parents. I say liberated because she is dating someone who is older than her. Like old. At the same time, this boy shows up that changes Lola’s life. This boy name is Cricket. I pictured Cricket as prince charming. He was perfect but not too perfect. He made mistakes but who doesn’t.

Stephanie Perkins created this dreamy, cute, and intense chemistry between Lola and Cricket that I think readers will find it hard to forget about it for a long while. Just like in Anna and the French Kiss (Perkins’s first book) I just wanted to jump inside the book and dissolve into one of the characters. It doesn’t matter which character, they were all unique and awesome…as long as I am in the book, I am fine.

And speaking of Anna, you got to see Anna and St. Claire in this book (and yes I say see, instead of read because they are real people to me). They are still so cute together. As a huge fan of Anna, you  get to see her relationship with St. Claire from Lola’s point of view which was a great addition. At times, I missed getting inside Anna’s head.

Whatever I say though won’t make this book any justice. Stephanie Perkins left me with high expectation after Anna and she didn’t fail me in Lola. The book was cute and heart- warming, leaving smiles all over my face. Each word was sugar coated.

Also, in this book I am taught that a happy ending do exists but it might not find your way right away.

Love this book sooooo much. Please read it.


1 comment:

Karen L. said...

Lola! I adored this book so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails