Monday, January 30, 2012

Don't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala


Release Date: January 3rd 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 299 pages
Source: ARC
Series: Stand alone

Joy Delamere is suffocating... 

From asthma, which has nearly claimed her life. From her parents, who will do anything to keep that from happening. From delectably dangerous Asher, who is smothering her from the inside out. 

Joy can take his words - tender words, cruel words - until the night they go too far. 

Now, Joy will leave everything behind to find the one who has offered his help, a homeless boy called Creed. She will become someone else. She will learn to survive. She will breathe... if only she can get to Creed before it’s too late. 

Set against the gritty backdrop of Seattle’s streets and a cast of characters with secrets of their own, Holly Cupala’s powerful new novel explores the subtleties of abuse, the meaning of love, and how far a girl will go to discover her own strength.

Just when I thought contemporary books couldn’t get any edgier, I read Don’t Breathe A Word which changed my view. And I'm not exaggerating but it also made me aware of an issue that I didn’t know existed in USA.

The issue is homeless teenagers and the many problems they face before they became homeless and after. Holly does a great job in making me feel sorry for the unfortunate teenagers who are given no choice but to live on the streets.
This book has many messages that I think is useful to teenagers. It is one of those books that can ensure its readers, who are having problems stronger than them in their lives, that tomorrow will be better. That you need to strengthen yourself because you deserve that.

I really loved Joy. She was awesome and adaptable when it came to the life she decided on. She's been through a lot thanks to Asher who I hate like crazy. I hate you Asher and you cant do anything about it. you're so full of nothingness. Ok, now that its off my chest, I can talk about Creed.

Creed is this protector whom I viewed as a superhero in this book. I want a whole book written from Creed's perspective. I just want to read him talk. That's all. He was a great character symbolizing so many wonderful things in our world.

Anyways, this book was enjoyable and an eye opener on a topic that doesn’t get much attention in our world. Homeless teenagers.   

1 comment:

Katie (The Literary Files) said...

I was excited to read this book before, but now after your review I definitely made it a priority to read this as soon as possible! I love that you found it super edgy and eye opening. I had no idea it was about homeless teens! I read a book about that issue in junior high and was floored about teens living on the streets and like you said it being an issue in America. I can't wait to read this one now, thanks for the awesome review! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails