Thursday, February 2, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Release Date: September 27th 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 418 pages
Source: Library
Series: 1

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. 

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low. 

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. 

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Holly smokes. I loved this. I even started recommending it before finishing reading it.
I hate fantasy books. But this book looked me in the eye and forced me to change my beliefs.

So at first I was confused because I was entered into a whole new world. Encouraging me to read more and more. I guess it has something to do with the flawless writing style. Sometimes I thought it was full of big words, I didn’t know. But in this book big words were good. I didn’t mind anything.

The characters….I am in love with them all. I mean, the main character has blue freaking hair. Now that’s magical...

The world Laini successfully created was full of wonders and imagination and lots of others things that I cant sum up right now.

Also, the plot was so real. Ok so I don’t want to spoil it but Karou (the main character) travels in a blink of eye…not literally.

There!

That’s all I'm going to say.

And the way the author plotted this specific place that Karou went to (it starts with M) was well-described. Great job!

If book 1 was that good, I wonder about book 2.

Anyways, this book deserved big fat 5 stars. And probably more.   

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Love your review..i own this and I really need to read it..*sighs* so many books so little time :(

Katie (The Literary Files) said...

I haven't read this one yet and your review makes me wish I had! Ahh! I love beautiful writing styles and I'm so happy you loved all the characters! I really want to read this now, thank you for the awesome review! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails