Monday, March 18, 2019

Dowager Cixi was an Extraordinary Empress

In this post, I will be discussing Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China by Jung Chang

In 2013 when I decided to take a Chinese history course as an elective, I was a bit reluctant. I wanted to learn the language, but languages classes were 3 times a week and history classes were only 2. And since it was an elective, I wanted more free time for my other courses.

I started my Chinese modern culture course in 2014 and a new passion was developed along the way. I became more and more interested in Chinese history. It is because of its intensity, to say the least. The course covered the chinese history in the 20th century. Before that, we were slightly introduced to Cixi but it was not the course’s focus.

This is why when I saw the name on the cover of this book, I recognized her name… and the author’s name.

Cixi was an extraordinary woman who was the cause of China’s transformation. She always had new ideas and new tactics to overcome issues her country faced. She foresaw the future and built the nation’s current foundation.

At times when women had no rights, Cixi forced everyone to only see her as the fit ruler for a nation that is so big with every measurement you can think of.

This woman despite everything she faced from the loss of her husband, son and lover stood still.

She did allow bad things to happen during her regime but according to the author, she regretted them openly.

I would tell you all about the amazing things she did and all new reforms that occurred during her ruling but then I would be taking away the fun when reading this book.

Regarding the writing style, this book was written with such pose and simple way that anyone could follow along. The author took the time to explain everything thoroughly. I would also recommend reading Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by the same author, if you are interested to know the impact of Mao on China.

After all, this book proves nothing but the fact that women can rule. 




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails