Monday, March 11, 2019

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is a Great Book


The novel is about two French sisters trying to survive during World War II. Vianne who wanted to be a good mother and protect her daughter at all cost during the war. And Isabelle (the younger sister) who was never loved by her sister and father, found herself loving her country with all her being.

The two characters were crafted with tremendous care. Isabelle who didn’t care how people thought of her. How she was different from the other girls she went to school with. How she listened to the BBC to get the latest news on the war. How she wanted to have people see beyond her beauty. Not to mention that Isabelle loved to read. Those were all things that made me connect with Isabelle.

I had a hard time liking Vianne at first because of how she treated Isabelle. But I really appreciated how the author wrote such a careful, protective mother who would put her daughter first in any situation.  

Gäetan is another well-developed character even though we hardly see him across the storyline. But his presence was very strong every time he appeared (especially that scene towards the end*insert tears here*).       

This book had me thinking about it during my sleep. I was thinking which sister was still alive. Is it Vianne or Isabelle? Both were still alive? I had so many questions floating in my head. And I love it when a book invades my dreams.

As I was near the end of the novel, I was debating what rating to give it on Goodreads. I thought 4 stars would be fine. But then in the last 2 chapters, I found myself crying. Everything was just a lot to take in. I found myself pausing after every paragraph or so. The ending was so beautiful, mesmerizing and perfect. I ended up giving it 5 stars because it was able to stir up my feelings with its subtle plot.


There are many untold stories about women fighting their way during wars. I am glad the author took time to crown women who fought in a war and gave them life through her writing. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails