Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book Review: Call me Kate

Heyhihello

Today I shall review a book titled Call Me Kate by Molly Roe.

Here is the description of the book:  
Coming of age amidst the seething unrest of the Civil War era, feisty fourteen-year-old Katie McCafferty infiltrates the Molly Maguires, a secret Irish organization, to rescue a lifelong friend. Under the guise of Dominick, a draft resister, Katie volunteers for a dangerous mission in hopes of preventing bloodshed. Katie risks job, family, and ultimately her very life to intervene. A series of tragedies challenge Katie's strength and ingenuity, and she faces a crisis of conscience. Can she balance her sense of justice with the law? Call Me Kate is suitable for readers from eleven to adult. The story is dramatic and adventuresome, yet expressive of daily life in the patches of the hard coal region during the Civil War era. This novel will appeal to readers of the Dear America series, as well as more mature readers who will enjoy the story's rich context and drama.
My review:
It's good to go back in time and understand what happened in the past. 

This book reminded me of what kind of struggle girls and women had to go through back in the day. How women weren’t expected to work after their studies. How they were just born to raise their families.

The character kate is one of those girls who took care of her family after her father got sick. He worked as a miner under unsafe conditions. This book was also a good reminder of how workers didn’t have any rights. They were forced to work under any conditions.

This book made me think about the current days. How much had we improved since the 1800s? How much had we accomplished since. What do we need to accomplish now.

The book was a perfect read for me since I love history. Also, it was about the American history and since I have zero knowledge about the American history it was a good start for me. I mean you need to know about the American history so I can beat my brother in Jeopardy.

  

4 comments:

Tribute Books said...

Basma - thanks for sharing your review of 'Call Me Kate' with your blog readers. We appreciate your support of the book.

I agree - following Katie's story really makes a reader stop and think about important issues that we are still facing today - women's equality, workers' rights, etc.

It makes you realize that even in a Civil War era coal town - people were still working out the issues that we are today.

Best wishes,
Nicole
Tribute Books

basma aal said...

Thank you

Sarah Mohamed Saghir said...

Basmaaaaa jepordyyy looool
ure so cute. i like this review and nice short and sweet

sounds like a good read to me :)

basma aal said...

Thanks Sarah :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails