Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne by David Starkey

When I saw this book in the midst of the other books, I knew I had to buy it.

It is about Queen Elizabeth which I barely knew anything about. The book contained colored illustrations so that was a plus. And finally the cover had the Queen on it and I just had to conform to her orders.

So I don’t have to go further about my excitement towards this book when I first saw it.

Now upon reading the book, I felt bad for Elizabeth’s struggles. She had to grow up in a place far away from her mom. Her mother was executed when Elizabeth was very young. And as the title suggests, it was a struggle to the throne. Elizabeth went through a lot. It was probably because of the era she was born in. Everything was just too complicated back then.

I had fun reading the first part of the book (knowing about Elizabeth’s upbringings and such). However, later on, I became disinterested because the book turned into a political scene. It focused on politics which doesn’t cross off any of preferred genres. For some reason, I prefer reading history over politics. I know both genres collide from time to time. But you know preferences. What can I do!

So I recommend this book if you are into both British history and politics. Also, if you have a little background about the Elizabethan era.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails