Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Perfume Garden by Kate Lord Brown


This novel is a historical fiction which moves back and forth between 1936 and 2001. We get to see different generations and how their lives intertwine. In 2001, we follow Emma who had just lost her mother and the love of her life. She is also pregnant. She decides to restart her life all over again in Spain.

I actually liked Emma a lot because she was relatable. She is ambitious, strong and well-minded. I felt sorry for her for losing her mom. 

In the 1930s we follow many characters during the civil war in Spain. Now for that part of the story, I was not interested in the characters. I was more interested in the events. I never read anything about Spain’s situation before WWII. However, this novel sparked my interest. I am a huge fan of history and I studied Chinese history during WWII. But I never had a chance to uncover the facts about Spain. Definitely, every nation was impacted before, during and after WWII. Its so interested that this novel decides to give Spain its well-deserved spotlight.


The novel was definitely a slow read. Though I must say that as I went on to flip more pages, I became more invested. If you are not a fan of historical fiction, then this book is not for you. If you are a fan of historical fiction and okay with a slow read, then you will be able to enjoy this book.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails